Saturday, August 18, 2007

The party

At 10am Momoga sent his driver for me. The car was already filled with Jayapal, an Indian businessman, Paul who says he works for an NGO but I think works for the US embassy, Armin, a German Doctor and Diane who works for AMFAR (a relief agency) and off we went. I didnt know it but we were off on a 4 hour ride to Momoga's home village deep in the back country. The road was very bumpy and we were delayed for an hour because of a protest by some farmers who were upset because a government car had run over some of their livestock earlier in the day. Later I found out that it was the Presidents entourage's vehicle that had done the damage. We arrived at a seemingly ramshackle village only to pull up to a ornate tall steel gate and a formally dressed guard came out of a guard house saluted us as the gate opened for us. The driver parked the car along side around a dozen newer vehicles mostly German but a few American cars too. We then entered the house thru a large wooden carved door thru a reception hallway out to the back yard to what looked like a typical hotel party set up around a very large pool with uniformed servers and a well stocked bar. There was around 80 people mulling about and around 10 security people off to one side. A man came up to us and introduced himself to us as Mr. Sokura and he welcomed us and suggested we get some drinks. Yes was the general consensus and we headed to the bar. It was mostly Africans and us the token westerners. After several drinks Momoga showed up with a beaming smile and a big hug and brought me inside the house to meet someone "special". The President knew my name. Yes I am a celebrity whore and my ass kissing began immediately. "Oh, I love your country." and "Momoga has told me how great of a leader you are.", well it went over very well and he invited me to come see him at the palace on tuesday. I accepted. Momoga told me that I was very lucky and a invitation to the palace was very special. I guess the $1500 payment really was well received. After a while the President and his entourage left and people started to relax and drink more....much more. It turned into a drunken bacchanal. The food was decent, the vodka was cold and my new friends were funny. Jayapal fell into the pool and was extremely embarassed as he couldnt swim. Neither could anybody else it seemed till Diane jumped in and saved him. Indians cannot hold their liquor it seems. At midnite we all got back in the car and instantly I fell asleep only to wake up around 4am as we arrived at the hotel. Right now I feel like crap and Im going to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pagalo,

I had lost track of you, this is really wild!! You are hanging out with Burkina Fasoans!?!

Have you seen the movie "Last King of Scotland"? I be watching my back like no tomorrow if I was you. Definitely stay away form the president's wives and daughters or granddaughters even if he doesn't seem to care which is which. I bet he would if you lay hands on any of them.

By the way I read a story just not long ago about an Aussie bloke who went to Mali, Africa to pick up a mail bride and was royally screwed. Locked up in an apartment and bitten up and what not. Luckily his brother got the police to rescue the fool

Here is the link:
http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/bm/national/896676.html

I know you are smart but watch out if it sounds to good it most probably is too good.

All the best,
Toto